The internationally-renowned Brubeck Institute is looking for three young (16 – 19-year-old) British jazz musicians to join its 2017 Brubeck Summer Jazz Colony in Stockton, California.
This is a unique opportunity for outstanding young musicians to broaden their horizons, experience world-class jazz education, and make enduring musical friendships. As the Brubeck Institute’s UK partner, NYJO is proud to manage the UK application process for the Colony.
Two previous Brubeck participants from the UK (Alexandra Ridout and Alex Bone) have gone on to win the BBC Young Musician Jazz Award, and several other Brubeck attendees have been featured as finalists in the competition. The Brubeck Colony is widely recognised as one of the world’s pre-eminent jazz summer schools.
To apply, you will need to complete an online application and follow the audition procedure: you submit a recorded (video or just audio) audition, uploaded online, in which each track time should not exceed six minutes and total submission should not exceed 30 minutes and must include the following:
- A medium-tempo blues
- An up-tempo rhythm changes tune
- A Latin, rock, or funk tune
- A ballad
- Any other tune of your choice (standard, contemporary tune, original, etc.)
The applicant’s performance must be accompanied by a rhythm section or a play-along recording, or both. The recording will be judged on sound, intonation, time-feel, jazz vocabulary, artistry, and overall musicianship. All instrumentalists should clearly state the melody before their improvised choruses (melody is optional for drums).
Notify NYJO of intention to apply asap by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application form completed and recording to be uploaded to Brubeck Institute website by 10am, Friday 17 March. Link here: http://www.pacific.edu/Brubeck-Home/What-We-Do/Summer-Jazz-Colony/SJC-Application-Process.html
- The NYJO team of Music Directors will then review applications and recommend a shortlist to the Brubeck Institute by Saturday 1 April.
- Three successful UK applicants notified by Sunday 30 April.
- Three successful applicants fly to San Francisco on Saturday 5 August.
The course fee is $1700 – around £1,400 at today’s exchange rate. In addition, colonists are responsible for their own return air fares to San Francisco; they will be picked up at the airport and taken to and from Stockton by the Brubeck Institute. NYJO has raised funds to support some additional financial assistance/bursaries if necessary and can give advice on fund-raising techniques; most of the previous UK Colonists have run very successful crowd-funding campaigns. There are also Trusts and Foundations who are prepared to help deserving individuals to take advantage of this unique opportunity.
What to do next
- Notify NYJO of your intention to apply by emailing email@example.com
- Follow the instructions below on ‘how to apply from the UK’
- Submit your application and recording to the Brubeck Institute website (see instructions below) by 10am, Friday 17 March (N.B. the UK application deadline is earlier than the final Brubeck Institute deadline).
The Brubeck Summer Jazz Colony is a one-week, intensive educational program in jazz performance for a limited number of exceptionally talented students. They come from throughout the United States and beyond to study with Brubeck Institute faculty, guest artists and master teachers, in combo rehearsals, master classes and private instruction, classes in jazz theory and advanced jazz improvisation, and seminars on the music of Dave Brubeck and other topics. Colonists have extensive opportunities to visit with the artists and clinicians, participate in numerous jam sessions, and perform in concert.
This instrumentation is designed to create four instrumental combos. Brass Players (Trumpet/Trombone), Saxophonists, Guitarists, Pianists, Bassists, and Drummers are encouraged to apply.
The colony is fully risk-assessed and chaperoned for the age group. NYJO may also be able to offer advice on visas and travel coordination.
How to apply from the UK
Check you will be aged 16-19 in August 2017
- Go to: https://app.decisiondesk.com/clients/brubeckjazz2017/apply
- In ‘current class in school’ use ‘Freshman’ for Year 11 or below, ‘Sophomore’ for Years 12 or 13 and ‘Junior’ for Music College or University
- Give the name and address of where you are studying under ‘High School Address’ and the name of your head of music department under ‘Faculty Advisor’
- In Step 4 you will upload your video and audio and then reach the final screen where you can review your application. This will look like so:
N.B. Once you get to this stage and are happy with your application, you do not need to ‘Apply Payment’ or hit a ‘Final Submit’ button. Simply log-off. At this point you must email firstname.lastname@example.org will submit your application without charge.