Firstly, we must stress how transformative this support will be. Not only will it enable us to deliver an exciting new collective vision for the future, but it will allow us to do so on firm financial footing, ensuring stability for us and in turn for those who will help us realise this vision.
Since NYJO’s inception much has changed both inside and outside of the music charity. Like so many arts organisations today, NYJO acknowledges that much more can be done to better nurture talent from all of our communities, and this financial support is crucial for us to create new, relevant opportunities with that goal in mind.
We are confident that we can emerge from the latest lockdown with a range of activities to champion burgeoning talent, captivate contemporary audiences, and bring together a firm base of support to ensure NYJO’s longevity.
This grant will directly fund:
• Live rehearsals leading to audio and video recording projects for all band-members.
• Ambitious new commissions that offer major opportunities for all of our musicians.
• Scope to develop relationships with new venues, audiences and international musicians.
• Six unique collaborations to be livestreamed with guest artists, accompanied by digital learning resources.
• The first performance and learning activities set to take place at our new home of Woolwich Works, laying the foundation for community outreach in partnership with Greenwich Music Hub.
• A re-imagined version of our “Virtual Academy” (VA), based on user experience, data and feedback.
• A complete overhaul of our digital infrastructure and brand identity to better reflect our new goals and collective vision for the future.
• Continued work with external stakeholders to develop progressive diversity policy, inclusionary practices, and organisational culture.
Our aim is to create a national organisation that anyone can feel proud to be a part of, and these projects represent the foundations on which a more representative, sustainable organisation can be built upon. An organisation that is creative and ambitious, reflects the contemporary jazz landscape, the eclectic mix of artists within it, and the audiences that support their work and share common goals.