NYJO is delighted to announce that its Saturday activities – including the NYJO Academy and NYJO main band rehearsals – will be moving to Morpeth School in Tower Hamlets, from January 2018. These activities have been resident at the LCCM (London College of Creative Media) since 2012, but LCCM’s move to new premises gave NYJO the opportunity to forge a new mutually-beneficial partnership that further progresses NYJO’s educational and musical aims.
Morpeth School will be the new rehearsal base for:
- NYJO’s flagship jazz orchestra for emerging professionals up to 25 years old
- The NYJO Academy Big Band, our auditioned training band for musicians up to the age of 20
- The NYJO Academy Jazz Ensemble, our open-access group for musicians aspiring to the Big Band
- NYJO London junior and advanced; open-access aural-based ensembles that improve aural, improvisation and jazz theory skills
- The NYJO Academy Vocal Group, an open-access class that coaches vocalists towards performing with our ensembles
Morpeth school will also allow for the growth of NYJO’s weekend activities, including a series of Sunday workshops due to commence in the spring term of 2018.
Mark Armstrong, NYJO’s Artist Director says: “Our partnership with Morpeth School is an exciting development in the story of NYJO, affording us a great opportunity to work in the heart of a diverse and vibrant East London community at a school with a strong commitment to live music. As well as having better facilities for the Academy groups we will also be able to provide a variety of open-access Sunday activities which will allow us to reach a bigger cohort of young players. The large hall has a much better acoustic for the main band to rehearse in, as well as giving space for observers at NYJO rehearsals and an on-site venue for some Academy performances, starting on the 16th December.”
Jemima Reilly, Headteacher of Morpeth School says: “We’re really excited at the prospect of working in partnership with NYJO and the potential for enhancing our pupils’ musical provision.”
For more information about joining the NYJO Academy, please contact Learning and Participation Coordinator Deborah Bankole: firstname.lastname@example.org | 020 7494 1733.
Applications to NYJO’s jazz orchestra for emerging professionals are now open – see here for more details