Q: How old do I have to be to apply for the NYJO Jazz Exchange?
A: We are looking for 18-25-year-old musicians, with room for some exceptional 16/17-year-olds. Musicians will be on the programme for 2 years, therefore will need to be aged 23 or below by the start of the programme (1 January 2020) in order to apply.
Q: How will the NYJO Jazz Exchange recruitment process work?
A: Applications will be open to emerging professional musicians nationwide, who are aged 23 or below on 1 January 2020. NYJO will seek recommendations from the national jazz community for suitable applicants, as well as welcoming applications from musicians who find us! A panel of experts will assess all nominations on individual merit. Further details of the application process will be available in due course.
Q: What instruments will be in the creative ensemble?
A: The instrumentation of the ensemble is not pre-determined, unlike NYJO’s existing 24-piece jazz orchestra. The panel will choose ten musicians based on talent and potential, rather than the instrument they specialise in or prior educational experiences.
Q: How does this project differ from the existing jazz orchestra?
A: The NYJO Jazz Exchange’s new ensemble will operate alongside to the existing jazz orchestra. The new ensemble will take ownership of their progression and direction, whilst collaborating with the existing orchestra on appropriate projects.
Q: Do I have to be able to read music?
No. The focus of the NYJO Jazz Exchange is on creativity and sharing of musical ideas. Musicians will not be dependent on notation-reading ability.
Q: What instruments can apply?
The NYJO Jazz Exchange is open to ANY instrument that uses standard western tuning, including vocalists.
Q: What will the NYJO Jazz Exchange ensembles play?
That’s up to you! The NYJO Jazz Exchange will be musician-led, forming an ensemble or ensembles between themselves. Supported by an ensemble coach, the musicians will decide what to play, and what direction to take the group(s) in.
Q: What will I receive if I am accepted onto the NYJO Jazz Exchange?
A: Musicians on the programme will receive:
- A two-year membership for each musician
- Monthly rehearsals facilitated by a coach
- One-to-one mentoring sessions with top UK-based creatives
- Regular NYJO Youth Voice Forum meetings, contributing to NYJO artistic and educational policy
- Regular paid performance opportunities
- Integration with current NYJO professional development, including opportunities to become NYJO Ambassadors (apprentice jazz educator), commissioned to compose and arrange music, learn about Hearing Health, union membership and writing funding applications
- Regular evaluation meetings with the Artistic Director, Ensemble Coach and member of the NYJO team
- Inter-city travel and accommodation costs fully met for all musicians to activity where required
Please get in touch with Claire Furlong, Learning & Participation Manager, on 02074941733 or email@example.com.