Stage 1: Application and Video
APPLICATIONS TO AUDITION FOR NYJO 2019 ARE NOW CLOSED.
We will next be recruiting for the Jazz Orchestra around October 2019.
Stage 2: Audition
Stage two is an audition and interview, in your choice of Birmingham or London, and we can cover travel expenses for those travelling from outside of the city.
Auditions will be held on:
Saturday 5 January 2019 – London (Morpeth School, Bethnal Green)
Sunday 6 January 2019 – Birmingham Conservatoire
- Each audition is about 12 minutes long
- Prepare one piece, different to the material in your video audition, to play for the panel.
- You will also be asked to sight-read.
- A rhythm section (piano or guitar, bass and drums) will be provided for you – please bring any written music that they would need to accompany your playing. As at video stage, your piece should best reflect what you consider to be your role within a large jazz ensemble/big band.
- For non-improvising musicians please bear in mind that accompanists may not be able to sight-read difficult written accompaniments – please be prepared to play solo
- The panel will speak to you briefly about your what inspires you as a musician, your musical goals and your playing experience.
Take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.